Saturday, December 8, 2012

First shot

I used last month's Black Friday to my greatest advantage and bought myself a Canon DSLR.

I have managed to get some really treasured (to me) photos from my little point and shoot cameras for years but I felt like I wanted to make the big step up. Of course...I didn't make the biggest step up (considering my last camera was only $100 this felt like a gigantic leap), but I feel like this camera and I can go places even if those places are just of delight to me.

I am a complete photography amateur but that doesn't make me love it any less. However, I knew I would not be fantastic right away and I'm glad I knew. I've taken probably 150 photos with the new camera so far, but really only liked a few. I figured I would shoot tons of photos just to get to know the camera. And let me tell you how many times I've gone out shooting and singing this in my head.

I have noticed an astonishing change in clarity and color and that is what I was really wanting.

tiny succulent w


 

















Tiny succulents in the oak moss.


Spudnik w

Spudnik.



Calliope w

Calliope keeping watch. She doesn't like her photo taken so she's hard to catch.


kestrel in tree w

"My" little kestrel. I usually see it only in passing as it sits on the fenceposts and I drive by on my way to work.


tree full of birds w

A tree full of birds! There's a line of trees quite a ways from my yard out into my neighbor's field. Birds love these trees. Here we've got robins, starlings and crows.


I can't wait until my ability catches up with my desire.

Do you know of any good photography tips blog posts, web pages, etc? Please share!

P.S. I hate new blogger. Sorry my post is messed up and I've given up trying to fix it.
Also if you want to see the photos of some photographers that really inspire me:

Gypsy Mare Studios

Little Red House

Mt. Hope Chronicles


3 comments:

cat said...

These are lovely. The photos come out so beautifully, too. I have lusted after a Cannon DSLR for a while, but I can't justify the price when I know I won't be using it as much as I would like to. Seeing photos so rich like this really makes me want one though!

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

You? An amateur? Not by a long shot, sweetie! I am always amazed and inspired by your photo's clarity and composition. Your closeups are particularly good. I can't wait to see what new things you will shoot with your new camera! (Sorry I don't have any photography tips. I get by with my little automatics too.)

Mandy Saile said...

These are beautiful photographs, I would never say your an amateur, not even close.