Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Microwave & printer carts turned coffee station

I recently inherited a microwave cart. If you're too young to remember, microwaves used to be enormous and a special cart for one was really the most practical way to contain the beast and still have counter space left. The one I inherited was made by my grandpa out of juniper wood and even has wheels!

My microwave is pretty small and looked pretty silly sitting on it so I decided to free up space in my pantry by moving all my coffee and tea goodies onto the cart instead.

I also had a random printer table (back when printers used to be huge - do you see the trend? My current printer is tiny) that I've just never gotten rid of. It is doing me a favor by hiding some of my appliances in the lower shelves but the top was free space.

 photo IMG_8345_zps7xknsygq.jpg

Side by side in my kitchen entry they help visibly break up the space instead of making my kitchen and living room look like one big area. Some linen burlap as runners and a hide-the-mess curtain unify them since clearly these two things don't match at all (except that they are victims of the modernization of appliances).

The top is a mix of thrift and bargain store finds holding cocoa mix, coffee beans, an assortment of favorite teas and all the various additions you could wish for (honey sticks? coconut sugar? cane sugar? cinnamon?)


 photo IMG_8352_zpsegexnpqf.jpg


These great vintage inspired jars have a nice tight seal for keeping food items fresh (I found mine at Hi-School Pharmacy). My coffee beans are kept air tight as well (I like locally roasted, ethically sourced Garage Coffee)

 photo IMG_8353_zpsqnuyign4.jpg


Below I have a pair of locker baskets that have been around so long I don't even know where they came from. They used to be under my bed doing a really inefficient job of holding old receipts and a really efficient job of gathering cobwebs.

 photo IMG_8356_zpskqsn8itq.jpg

I keep some of my favorite items readily accessible in one and my French press and fancy kettle for pour over coffee in the other (because you need a special kettle. Because of course you do).

On the lowest shelf I put a pair of collapsible baskets? Bins? I found at Ross for $3.99 for the pair. All my boxes of teas are in one and then random tea ware is in the other (all the strainers, steepers, pots, you name it)


 photo IMG_8357_zpsxpi5w0uu.jpg

My other flat surface is where I decided to put my new obsession: pour over coffee apparatus. I attended a coffee class hosted by the Garage Coffee guys and now I'm just completely obsessed. I hardly ever drink coffee but when I do I want a good cup of joe.


 photo IMG_8347_zpsl8obvpyr.jpg

My burr grinder and Hario V60 coffee stuff I ordered from amazon. I found the gorgeous cutting board I'm using as a platform for them at Ross. A dollar store napkin holder is keeping my filters in place. And a thrift store jar is holding some cranberry pistachio biscotti I found at Grocery Outlet.


 photo IMG_8349_zpsvvwacfey.jpg

And of course chocolate syrup because I like my coffee when it's mostly chocolate.

A tension rod, little curtain clips and a piece of linen burlap (which I found in the yarn/rug making section of Joann) is keeping everything looking tidy and slightly rustic.


 photo IMG_8358_zpslbwaqwwi.jpg


And this wall was way too boring even with all this for me to leave it alone so I hung some artwork I got from my friend Megan (and which came from Hairbrained Schemes on Etsy)

 photo IMG_8351_zpsmvhekw6i.jpg


And a thrift store frame filled with downloadable and printable art (from Joyful Art Designs on Etsy)

 photo IMG_8350_zpsqk8qovbx.jpg


I'm in love. It's like living in a coffee shop (sortof) and really isn't that what we all want? Now to make my bathroom look like a luxury hotel...

I, of course, found a ton of inspiration on pinterest. Here are some of my favorites:

Coffee & Tea station
Chalkboard coffee station
Coffee station on a cupboard

You can also follow my coffee obsession on my pinterest board Magic Beans.


16 comments:

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

I'm going to borrow your coffee filter storage idea. ;-) I always love how organized and pretty your house is.

cat said...

I want you to come live with me for a month or more and just redecorate my house. Thank you.

Mary said...

What neat ideas! And that is a really nice microwave cart - I have cart envy ; )

kathy said...

I want to come over for coffee! What a nice set up. I love that you found a new use for a family heirloom microwave cart.

Clipping Solutions said...


Very helpful information!Thank you so much for the detailed article
Photo Retouching Services

Md Enamul Hoq said...

Superb your shared post and photographs . Really brilliant . Clipping Path | Remove White Background | Product Photo Editing

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Nice blog, get the latest website designing and development services for your business. Also get the Digital Narketing Services like SEO, PPC etc.
PPC Company in Delhi

Mutual Fundwala said...

Visit Mutualfundwala for the best Mutual Fund Companies, Investment Advisor in Delhi and Mutual Fund Distributor.
Investment Advisor in Delhi

Lisa Resnick said...




Thanks for sharing this blog. I loved reading this post.
clipping path

Akash said...

Good to know lot of things. Thank you.

aivivubooking1 said...

Aivivu đại lý vé máy bay, tham khảo

vé máy bay đi Mỹ tháng nào rẻ nhất

vé máy bay đi hà nội 2 chiều

ve may bay dalat sai gon

đặt vé máy bay đi nha trang giá rẻ

vé từ mỹ về việt nam

taxi đi sân bay giá rẻ

combo anantara quy nhơn

First Byte Tv said...

top 10 school in varanasi
golden visa services company in dubai
second citizenship by investment services in Dubai
turkey citizenship by property investment in Dubai
Best property dealers in meerut

Rahul Saxena said...

Tourist Places Near Delhi
best school of varanasi

Design Zoned said...

Finding the right kinds of clients and creating marketing materials and approaches to them will be less difficult if you know who you want to target.‘Design Zoned’ is a low cost website design company in India that delivers high-quality work.

Design Zoned said...

Whether it is a logo design, a website, or anything in between, your clients will be able to hire a designer to fit their needs. Design Zoned is a
cheap website design company is a company that spends its days creating outstanding creative work for its clients.

Clipping Path Center Inc. said...

Very technically organized and put the things. Already my mouth is watery from the coffee. Nice blog post.