Monday, November 2, 2009

How many shades of pink does it take...

...to turn me into 80's cartoon icon Jem?

No fewer than five!

Of course I didn't go for the all-out costume (didn't want to actually frighten the young'uns!).

I made my earrings from blanks purchased from etsy shop DIYorDIE, Prom Queen Jane eyezing, an old Mary Kay lipgloss set, a tinsel wig from a local variety store (I got it for 2.99!) and my fabulous t-shirt from Bear Prints. I know I used to see Jem shirts everywhere and apparently because I wanted one this year everyone stopped selling them. I couldn't find one anywhere so I got in touch with Bear Prints and they were great to work with.
I look just like her!



Mmmm not quite. Haha. ;)

I actually was already Jem one year...just a few years ago....


I had a great time doling out candy to all the adorable kids who came to the door. A big thank-you to the siblings/relatives/parents who walk with the kids door to door - thank you for caring! In the cold and rainy Willamette Valley weather that is real dedication.

So what did I scare myself with the rest of the weekend?

I found this at the Grocery Outlet and it was just too weird to resist!


I, of course, made my friend Karen try it with me, after all she and I braved the Jones Soda Thanksgiving dinner set which included such "enticing" flavors as turkey and gravy, brussel sprouts, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie (I don't recommend actually drinking it, although the proceeds from buying it go to a good cause).

The Lindt cherry and chili chocolate is actually quite delicious and I'm thinking it might be fun to make a "unique chocolate finds" basket for someone for Christmas. That's part of what I love about Grocery Outlet - I always find things there I've never seen anywhere else.

I also watched Arsenic and Old Lace - that's a sort of horror movie, right? ;)

The real horror is what the house looks like after all the crafting I've done lately. *hides face in shame* You'll see what I mean in the next posts! (Projects I mean, I'm not showing you my messy house!)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Super cool costume! I love the earrings. And that chocolate sounds bizarre ;)

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ha! I had forgotten all about the Jem character. Great job!!!
Also, the 'Celebration of Autumn' video clip below was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.
And your little white decorated pumpkins turned out amazing. Great job on the one that looks stenciled!!!

Brittany said...

OMGoodness!
I had a Jem doll when I was a kid! You are too cute!

Have you seen the chocolate covered bacon? I've looked for it, but can't find it. I dieing to try it!

shari said...

of COURSE arsenic and old lace is a horror movie!!! well, that's the kind I like anyways. love your costume and that chocolate sounds divine. i have much empathy with you over the-state-of-the-house-while-you-craft thing! my family knows exactly what you mean! (grinning wickedly). keep playing...

theUngourmet said...

Hi Molly! Isn't this a great crisp autumn so far?!

LOVE that movie! I've had that Jones Soda before. So Gross!

Hope you are having a terrific week!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Ah Jem, loved that show when I was a kid. Still could sing you the theme song:)
Great costume!
We have a gourmet chocolate shop down the street that has bacon chocolate bars. Have to try one someday.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Oh man, Jem - truly outrageous! I used to watch the cartoon. That brings back some memories...Rainbow Bright, Jem, Punky Brewster. Fun stuff.

Maggi said...

I so loved Jem when I was younger, I thought she was so cool! lol