Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Made it for me - eclectic necklace tutorial


I decided the other day that I wanted a blue necklace. I'm going through a blue color obsession right now and don't have nearly enough accessories in that color to satisfy me. I bought some chain for the project and looked through all the beads trying to find the perfect shade....to no avail. Since I have eleventy billion beads I thought I'd save myself some money and just use what I already had. As luck would have it, I didn't really have any blue beads at home either. My solution was to make an eclectic, long necklace with multiple colors so I could wear it with an assortment of clothing options.
Want to make one for yourself? Here's what you'll need:


Tools - wire cutters, needle nose pliers, round nose pliers.


Materials: Spooled wire, chain, and beads of your choice.


The beads I chose are all glass and have similar shapes and finishes for a little continuity.

I started by watching season one of Sherlock - again - and making my beads into links using [this] method. I love watching TV and movies while doing this sort of project because making a bunch of links can be a bit tedious.

The chain I chose is unsoldered - meaning the links can be opened. I randomly selected lengths of chain to go between my bead links so that there is no symmetry. I also made the necklace long enough that I can slip it over my head and don't need a clasp.


The length and asymmetry of it means I can twist the necklace around my neck so that any beads are in front. It's like having several new necklaces in one!

I wore mine today with a red shirt and already got compliments. Tomorrow I'm going to try it with a black and blue shirt combination. Oh the possibilities...

Now it's your turn! And I'd love to see photos of your completed necklace.



1 comment:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have some tools that look like those....but I haven't tried making jewelry! I love to buy it though! heehee! I made an announcement on my blog yesterday...hope you can stop by soon and let me know what you think! Hugs! ♥