Friday, July 24, 2009

Christmas in July - Day five

Snowflake garland tutorial
You can't go wrong with a project that only costs $1.57!

One sheet of eco-fi at .29
one skein of embroidery floss at .29
and one spool of grosgrain ribbon at .99 (I found a whole section of these at Joann Fabric and Crafts and that's regular, not sale price)
Snowflake cookie cutter


Trace around and cut out your snowflake shapes. I was only working with a partial piece of felt so I got 9 of them using a 3 1/2 inch (aprroximately) cookie cutter.

My next step was to add some extra wintry-ness (I'm just going to make up words now) to them by using some bright blue thread - very polar looking - to stitch around the edge. I tried finding a good whip stitch tutorial for going around the edge of something but couldn't find one! So I'm not sure what kind of stitch you'd call what I used because I kinda just winged it.

This actually had a cool side-effect of making each arm of the snowflake curl up and gives it a nice three-dimensional look. Yeah I totally meant to do that! *cough*

Using a regular old pen, I drew an asterisk shape on the back and used that as a stitch guide to make my center embellishment. Some of them looked better than others...
Like my cute pincushion? I bought it from the Rosy Retro etsy shop.

To make these a garland, I cut a length of grosgrain ribbon 8 inches longer than a yardstick. Why that length? Because 9 snowflakes fit just right on something 36 inches long. The extra 8 inches are to create two, four inch loops on each end for hanging.

Again using the yarstick as a guide, I marked where I would sew on the snowflakes.

Then I came through the back of the ribbon and stitched a loop through the ribbon and felt layers to both secure it, and cover my pen mark.

I'm sure you could use some washable ink but I was making this at someone else's house and I was quite limited on the supplies front!

In no time at all I had them all stitched on!

I think to really finish it off I'll add some fabric to the backs of the snowflakes to hide my stitches. I'm still quite new to hand-sewing and it looks pretty messy.

Strangely I didn't feel any cooler making snowflakes in 89 degree heat. ;)

Check out the HUGE list of gift ideas Missie has posted for today!


Nora Johnson said...

Dear Molly!
First of all, I hope you’ve had a great Christmas in July! Secondly, thanks so much for your lovely comment at my place and just to let you know you are included in the once-in-a-lifetime random draw on July 31st (I'm not quite sure but think you went for the REAL(!) Boris answer?!) for the coveted (*wink* *wink*!) Christmas in July giveaway!! But can’t stop now unfortunately ‘cos still visiting all the participants and other visitors!

Have enjoyed my visit to your gorgeous site - will be back again to check it out further! Have a wonderful weekend and be sure to check back at my place next Saturday to find out if YOU are the lucky winner!!!


PS Congrats on yr 100th post (I'm almost there myself too!) said...

Aww, that is darling! I love it, I'll be linking.

Missie/Crafting with Cat Hair said...

Somehow I missed this post, but thank goodness I caught it on One Pretty Thing!

Your banner turned out great! Don't you just love projects that cost less than $2.00?! I love that you used a cookie cutter. I bought a black cat cookie cutter last Halloween at Crate & Barrel. I just might have to add some black cat garland to my to-do list!

Kara said...

That turned out so cute! I am having fun checking out all your Christmas in July projects!

Dot said...

Love this! I'll be linking to it on Dabbled today.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway :)

I love these felt snowflakes, I'll have to keep them in mind come winter. Too cute.