Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My creepy terrarium

They have CraftFail but do they have Decor Fail? They really should! And I have a couple posts they could use! For some reason when I Decor Fail I always seem to do it with moss. Why moss, why?

First I found this little lidded jar at Goodwill for 99 cents. I was quite excited! It's cute and will hold cute things! And then I decided to clean my dresser and I needed a place for the mole skull. Yep, you read that right. (I showed it off here)


Before you look at the photo of the mole skull let me explain one thing. A friend once talked me into watching The X-Files and when I did (By myself. At night.) it was about some guy who caught some thing and everything he touched got covered - covered - in this white moldy webby stuff.

Scared the pants off me! I never watched that show again! I practically cry if there's mildew in the shower now.

When I decided to use my cute little jar to hold my mole skull so it wouldn't break, I decided to cushion it with moss from my yard. I forgot about it for a while and then I looked at it the other day. Guess what?


Do you see the mold fuzz growing off the top of it!! Ohhhhhh that got thrown out so fast. Right after I hyperventilated.

What was I thinking?!
I was kinda sad to lose my strange object because, from a scientific standpoint, I found it completely fascinating. But from a sanity standpoint...it had to go.
You can see my other disgusting moss decorating fail here. If you're brave enough!

6 comments:

Laura said...

This was the first blog I read this morning at way too early before I have to go to work, and I got such a giggle out of it. Thanks
sorry about your mole skull, yes kinda cool but really maybe its time to bury it in the backyard ashes to ashes and all.

Missie/Crafting with Cat Hair said...

Oh, Molly. This post truly cracked me up.

I absolutely love the X-Files so creepy is okay with me, but this little mole skull is a little too creepy for me. Did you keep the rest of the terrarium? Maybe you could put something else in its place.

Heather @ Sugar N Spice Mostly Nice said...

Ok honestly that mole skull totally freaked me out the first time you posted it and I am a Mom of 3 boys!
I have a feeling you and my oldest would so click. We spent all of his 2 hour delay yesterday watching Animal Planet while I gagged and he laughed!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Sorry about the mole skull...but I'm tellin' ya...you did the RIGHT thing. I hate mold with a passion, too. :{
Onto happier things, right? : )
M.L.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Isn't it amazing how fast mold can grow? I wonder if it came from the leaf or the moss? Too bad you had to throw away the skull...but yes, I think I would have tossed out the whole thing too!

LDH said...

eeek... I think you did the right thing too by tossing the contents of your cute little terrarium. I once grew some really interesting miniature ivy and fern pants that would do well in such a container.

:) ldh