Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer dreams and faery wings - make magic from your own backyard

A couple weeks ago I was house-sitting and since I was only there for four days I didn't pack too much to take with me and that included craft supplies. Wandering around the mossy trees and dense forest paths I started scooping up bits and goodies that I could use to create. A whole tin bucket full of lush moss, flower petals and maple tree samaras (helicopters is what I usually call them) were my finds of the week.

I've had Halloween on the brain ever since Vanessa mentioned her blog party date at A Fanciful Twist and I got to thinking about bottles filled with potion ingredients. Rat tails, bat wings and eye of newt...that sort of thing...except I don't like that gross aspect and my helicopters looked more like faery wings to me.






I pulled them apart initially, but cleaned up the edge with scissors. Then I mixed some metallic green craft paint with a wee bit of water (for a little transparency).





Placing them over some wax paper (to protect the table) I brushed the paint on and let dry, then did the other side.



It's that simple! Kids can totally handle this so if you want to spend a magical afternoon making faery wings, by all means go for it!
Once dry and bottled in a an empty spice jar my faery wings look like something you might find in a much less gross and creepy version of the apothecary serving up ingredients for a witch's brew.



Don't they look just like a wing?






And if my printer wasn't still out of ink, I would label them with this




You are welcome to use it for your own bottles - just right click and save. Some resizing may be in order.


To go along with the faery wings try out my last posted project and you've got yourself some faery eggs!





Faery eggs? You read correct! Last Monday was my birthday and I was given a copy of :
(click the photo to learn more about R.J. Anderson and her writing)


It doesn't matter that I am ever aging, I love children's and young adult books! Plus I've always had a soft spot for faeries. :)

It's a delightful story about an old oak tree that houses a diminishing society of faeries and about the one who dared to break through the fear and superstition to learn the truth. And yes there are faery eggs.

Mystery, adventure, totally adorable terminology and even a little romance, this book was my favorite "tea and reading on the deck" choice. Of course I couldn't put it down and so that only lasted two days, but still. :)

12 comments:

Caro said...

that's just SO stinkin' ADORABLE!!! Youre so creative!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love them! I may have to play with some fairy wings myself! Thanks for the label! I saved it!

Heather said...

Your head must constantly be full of ideas! Very cute.


LOVE LOVE LOVE the new header!!!

saweide@hotmail.com said...

oh NOW i know what to do with my tree dripping with helicopters!!1 i LOVE it.. i don't really like to gross stuff either, so this is perfect for my style of decorations. thank you!

Maggi said...

What a great idea, I am so in love with that jar of wings!

Angela said...

OMG I am in love with this idea! It is ingenious and makes me so happy I become a follower! I am so going home to see if I have any jars I can do this with. Thanks for sharing!

theUngourmet said...

I love your fairy wings! I'm going to show my daughter! :0)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Happy Birthday!


...and love the Fairy wings!!! They look magical!

Blessings & Aloha!

Sidereal Day said...

Ha! I love that idea, I'm going outside right now with my 5 year old to search for fairy wings to paint.
Also Happy Belated Birthday!
~L

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Whoa! Those are way cool and I love the label. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

jasmoonbutterfly said...

OOooo these are fab! Thank you for sharing x

Unknown said...

I just recently made some I wish I could send you a photo they came out beautiful