Friday, June 24, 2011

Couponing for the "extras"

 Here's where I admit to watching that "Extreme Couponing" show. I admire the savings especially for the ones who have large families and small incomes, but 20 toothbrushes? Just...why? Once you've stockpiled things shouldn't you...you know...stop? At least for a while? Anyway.

When I want an "extra" - something I don't need to live - I contrive a way for it to cost me little so I don't feel so guilty buying it.

While I'm house-sitting I've been happily browsing coupons and store websites and finally broke down to get a couple of store rewards cards (Walgreens and Fred Meyer).
Did you know you can load coupons to your store's rewards card? It's like coupons without the paper cuts. I did that with things I needed (and erm...didn't) and made my shopping list and went for it.


Haircolor. My root growout is making me crazy. And I swear my hair gets darker every year so the contrast is that much worse. This new foam stuff (this will be my first time trying it*) is normally $9.99. There was an in-store sale marking it down to $7.49. And I had loaded a $3.00 off coupon to my rewards card to get it for just $4.49.

I'm thiiiiiiiis close to being out of mascara and old mascara is certainly not something I want to be putting near my eye. This mascara was $7.49 (honestly it was just one of the cheapest I could find by CoverGirl) I had a $1.00 off manufacturer's coupon and the store was having a BOGO 1/2 off. The mascara being now just $6.49 and the lip gloss/tint went from $7.49 to $3.74.

The color is "Grenache"

I think this is possibly a clever way to re-package CoverGirl's old solid glosses which are around $4.00 anyway, but I'm a sucker for lip tints and this smells amazing!

I did also use my coupon-ing skills to buy necessary items like...coffee.



*I have since used it. The foam does not come out creamy and white like it shows on the box, so don't be alarmed by that. Also, it - to me - has an odd savory sesame smell. I have long, thick hair and it took the entire bottle of this to saturate my hair and I was only doing half my head. If you have thin or short hair however, I think this would work great.

3 comments:

Tim Prater said...

This is the first month we’ve worked hard at our couponing, and we have been able to decrease our overall grocery costs by about 40%. And we know we can improve on that. free coupons for groceries

Toqua's Crafts said...

I do couponing... I always have. I was raised doing it, I raised my kids doing it... Since I've been married to my 'now' husband he won't do it (period). How do you load the coupons to your store card?

I agree... once you've purchased your stash of toothbrushes (or whatever) you should wait to purchase more. If not, you could actually be wasting money by not using up everything you bought on sale!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by my Tea Party.
I always try to find bargains too.
Coupons are a great help.
Blessings,
~Myrna