Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I love it, I love it not...I love it!

*cue horror film music*


Where did that ugly thing come from? How did it get in my house?! I bought that ON PURPOSE?


Yep, I've said that! On more than one occasion. Isn't it funny how tastes can change or how something will be "Oh that works" one day and "Ummm no it won't!" later?


I bought a vase to hold a spray of grassy looking foliage. My only requirements were that it be a certain height and not made of glass. I found one at Goodwill for...probably two or three dollars (this was quite a while ago, so I can't be exact but it still had the original sticker on it for $14.99).


It was the right height, right price and didn't clash horribly with my room or my ideals...that is until I took my blinders off the other day as I was glancing around the bedroom and it stuck out to me...ghastly!




Are you dying to see it?






Okay it's not that bad, but it was just suddenly more than I could bear to look at.




Yeah it doesn't look that bad from way back there. Let me get it closer.

Blotchy, yellowy, green! This isn't the 70's! The Harvest Gold and Avocado colored appliances are long gone!

Down it came and to the craft room we went.

I sanded the vase to rough up the finsh and make paint more likely to stick to it. I say likely because I discovered that the vase was metal and that can sometimes be tricky. Somehow the "metal" bit did not grab my attention when I bought it. But obviously we know I must have been hypnotized or possibly medicated.

Once I'd roughed up the finish I painted it with some acrylic paint in a color called Ivory Cream. (I'm way into tone on tone whites, creams and tans lately) It would have been way faster and easier with a rattle can, but this is a multi-process vase! Just wait and see what comes next!

I didn't want a pattern I wanted a flower. So I got myself over to The Vintage Moth and printed a picture of a lovely anemone that I changed to black and white. I cut the flower out with a craft knife/razor knife and decoupaged it onto the vase. Okay that doesn't seem much like what Cy did, but that's where the inspiration came from!

Once it was down and down well, I sprayed the whole thing with my can of clear coat gloss.


And the lovely "after"...




I did only put the flower image on one side because I was thinking I could just turn it around if I wanted it plain one day. I like options! And it has nothing to do with the fact that cutting around all those wispy leaves with the razor knife took me...well, a while.

I showed it to a couple of people who asked me if I painted the flower. Ummm yeah! I painted that on there *coughcoughwink*

Now it looks great on my bedside table. Oh, you'll have to forgive the horrible shots taken with flash, that room gets practically zero natural light this time of year.


And you can peruse the book selection while you're here - I love to read!


Do you like my table? It's actually...

A plant stand with a hat box on it. And covered in a vintage table cloth (that I have yet to iron *blushes*) I stole out of the "going to Goodwill pile" I mentioned in this post.

23 comments:

Xazmin said...

I love it! You are fabulous and therefore I have given you an award! Thanks for sharing your talented self!

Katie Lane said...

Good job! I do that stuff all the time isn't it fun?!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative!

Anonymous said...

Adorable photos!

Good morning sistas! It's one day until Friday!

I'm sponsoring a Mardi Gras contest on my blog. Lots of fun cupcake prizes.
Grand Prize: Juicy Couture Pink Cupcake necklace.

Zen Cupcake February 17, 2009: Mardi Gras Giveaway!

Make it a great day!

Sarah said...

Nice job! Visiting you from SITS

Anonymous said...

Greetings from over at SITS. Very clever ideas. If only I were that crafty :)

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Dropping by from SITS ... wow - you are truly amazingly talented. I would never have thought to do something like that to a vase! And if I did, it for sure wouldn't turn out like your masterpiece.

Amy said...

Visiting via SITS. I love the vase and the makeshift table. Very creative :)

Grand Pooba said...

You are one creative chica! Very cool, you need to teach me!

said...

Well aren't you a creative soul! That vase makeover looks amazing. Very Pottery Barn, but better. Love that table too, how clever!

Congrats on your SITS feature!

mommy4life said...

You are so creative. I love the makeshift table and the makeover on the lamp! Congrats on your saucy week.

Hccm said...

Follow Wenda!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that looks great!! Stopping by from SITS to sah "HI" :)

koopermom said...

Now, it is BEAUTIFUL! Loves it!

Brandy said...

What a GREAT idea! I love finding thrift stuff and transforming it into something great! I love the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your SAUCYness for the week! Stopping in from SITS!

mommy4life said...

Now Wenda's following you too!!

Kristina said...

I love it too! Great job!!

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Stopping by from SITS to say hi! I like all your creative stuff! =)

B said...

You inspire me. I love you. I wish I could think of things like that instead of adding to the "goodwill pile" that I should really be stealing from.

Anonymous said...

Your vase looks gorgeous! Don't you just love doing makeovers!

RebeccaMom said...

I love your improvisation!

Frugal Home Designs said...

That is beautiful!