Saturday, December 27, 2008

Something for the guys...sortof


As I've mentioned, I made nearly all my Christmas gifts this year. If you don't know already, let me tell you how difficult that is to do for guys. I knitted scarves, made paper flowers and jewelry and decorated ornaments for all the women on my list, but the guys? What do you make for someone who can recite the fine qualities of practically every motor vehicle available (including ATV's)? Who loves big tires, loud noises and grease? That is an excellent question. If you have an answer for me, please leave me a comment and let me know what it is.

But I'll tell you what I decided he might get a kick out of - something made from duct tape. I think I can count on one hand the men I know who aren't in love with duct tape. So thank goodness for websites like The Duck Tape Club and their list of project ideas.

I am actually quite impressed with the array of items that can be made from this wonder product. What I chose to make were the duct tape roses (I didn't have any Duck brand, sorry Duck Tape Club) also consulting this tutorial. Yes I made them for a man. I was making everyone else flowers why shouldn't he get any?

I used the silver color (because that is also the color of chrome, another thing he's enthralled with) covering the stems with the same color and even making a duct tape "ribbon" which I used to tie around the trio in a bow. He got a laugh out of it (and I got a "that's awesome!"), which is really what it was all about. And I learned that working with duct tape takes skills that I have yet to master. However I'm looking forward to trying a few other things! He's got a birthday in March, maybe I should start now...

No comments: